In order to fulfill recertification requirements, the certificant must have completed and postmarked all continuing education credits by the last day of the fifth year of the cycle. The Recertification Manual outlines all continuing education credits and required documentation.
Certificants may pursue recertification by accruing 100 recertification credits during the five-year recertification cycle.
Certificants accrue recertification credits in the following ways:
- Completing graduate coursework in areas related to the CBMT Board Certification Domains.
- Attending educational programs, such as workshops, courses and trainings, etc.
- Designing and completing individualized self-study programs, or completing standardized self-study programs
- Attending short educational events, such as in-services and conference presentations
- Attending regional and national music therapy conferences
- Conducting professional programs such as publishing, presenting workshops, completing a thesis or dissertation, etc.
- Contributing service to music therapy organizations and external organizations
- Providing supervision in internship or pre-internship settings
- Pay the yearly maintenance fee (and late fee if it applies)
- Participate in and document 100 recertification credits in the categories of Continuing Music Therapy Education (including 3 credits in ethics), Professional Development, and Professional Service.
- Enter credits using the login tab on the website.
- Complete the Application for Recertification.